We are happy to announce the 16.03 release for the Reference Software
Platform project, right before Linaro Connect BKK16!
This is our third release, incorporating quite a few changes and
improvements for both the consumer and enterprise reference platforms.
We are also happy to share, for the first time, that we were able to
produce a common and unified kernel tree (4.4.0 based) that is shared
across all the supported platforms!
The unified kernel is a critical piece as we can concentrate the
development and validation into one single source tree, and also
allowing us to create one package (deb/rpm) that can be shared with
everyone. As a result of the integration of many different development
trees, we are also able to quickly spot issues that could later affect
upstream and distros (e.g. DT x ACPI).
Some of the highlights for this release (check
for the complete list):
- Unified tree shared between the CE and EE builds, supporting Hikey,
Dragonboard, D02, APM X-Gene, HP Proliant m400 and AMD Overdrive.
- 4.4.0 based, including under-review topic branches to extend the
hardware support for the platforms available.
- Device-Tree support for CE; ARM ACPI and PCIe support for Enterprise.
- Single kernel config for all platforms in arch/arm64/configs/distro.
Consumer Reference Platform:
CE Debian RPB:
- Upgrade to Debian 8.3 “Jessie”
- Upgrade to the unified 4.4.0 Linux Kernel
- DB410c: Freedreno X11 video driver included by default (1.4.0)
- HiKey: Grub 2 config supporting kernel package updates
CE AOSP RPB:
- AOSP Android Marshmallow 6.0 (android-6.0.1_r16)
- Early Developer Preview snapshot for DragonBoard™ 410, supporting
Mesa and Freedreno
Enterprise Reference Platform:
- AMD Overdrive A0 (new) and B0
- APM X-Gene Mustang (new)
- HP ProLiant m400 (new)
Features: UEFI with ACPI, KVM and PCIe support
Firmware: Updated UEFI/EDK2 for D02, including support for PCIe and SAS
– Upgrade to Debian 8.3 “Jessie”
– CentOS (now supported): Based on CentOS 7.2 15.11
Install instructions, known issues, test reports and instructions to
build from source are all published at
For general questions or support requests, please go to the
96boards.org Community forum (https://www.96boards.org/
development questions and topics, please use the 96Boards.org
development mailing-list (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For bugs related to the 96Boards platforms, please use the 96Boards
bug tracking system (https://bugs.96boards.org/). For bugs related to
the reference software platform release, but on development boards
that are not officially part of 96Boards, please use
https://bugs.linaro.org instead (e.g. AMD Overdrive and HiSilicon
For IRC support, please go to the #96boards channel at Freenode.
Since Linaro Connect BKK16 is just around the corner, please also make
sure to check the sessions involving 96Boards and the Reference
Software Project. Sessions we will cover next week:
* BKK16-100: Evolution of the Reference Software Platform Project
* BKK16-501: Kernel and bootloader consolidation and upstreaming
* BKK16-505: Mezzanine Enablement
Also make sure to check https://bkk16.pathable.com/ for the full schedule!
We hope you enjoy the release, and have a great Linaro Connect BKK16!
On behalf of the Linaro 96Boards team,