Happy New Year!
NOTE: Pair this blog with this episode of OpenHours!
Yes that’s right, it is now the year 2017, and here at 96Boards headquarters (i.e. everywhere) things are anything but stagnant. In fact, for some time now the team has been hard at work devising a plan for this new and prosperous year. Still, while we do anticipate an action packed year for 96Boards (Spoiler alert: find out more later in the blog), it is always important to take a look back at all of the exciting things we have accomplished and seen in 2016…
For all you audio/visual folks, get caught up by visiting the 96Boards YouTube channel. There you will find several playlists to help maneuver through the content. Don’t forget to subscribe!
The year started out strong with January seeing a plethora of announcements and 96Boards product releases.
- Arrow launched their Linker Mezzanine card started kit!
- STMicroelectronics announced their STM32 Mezzanine module for 96Boards CE
- Cyrus Tabrizi is announced as Developer of the Month by Qualcomm Developer Network for using the 96Boards Dragonboard 410c in the IdeaQuest program.
- Coursera.org releases the fifth course in it’s six course IoT Specialization
- 96Boards Github and documentation repository gets some much needed love.
- Canonical announces intent to offer powerful ARM 64-bit IoT developer environment!
- The beginning of Github website rendering!
- 96Boards website now welcomes community contributions.
- Coursera.org releases the capstone(final) course in it’s six course IoT Specialization
- Reference Platform 16.03 is announced and released right before Linaro Connect BKK16 (now legacy – see previous releases). (Blog | Twitter post)
- Linaro Connect takes over Bangkok, Thailand (BKK16)!
- Here you will find links to event description, videos, photos, and much more!
- One of the first OpenScad 96Boards cases hits the projects page. Instructions for 3D printing your own case.
- Followed by a detailed blog
- Qualcomm announces the “Maker Month” contest using the 96Boards DragonBoard 410c
- New 3D print 96Boards case available on Thingverse
- Daniel Thompson uses 96Boards to drive an SSD1306 OLED display.
- Linaro and 96Boards visit ELC, San Diego!
- Instructions for GPIO control and library installation on 96Boards are released.
- uCRobotics presents the Bubblegum-96 – Tweet | Video
- Ubuntu Core sees the light on NXP/Freescale i.MX 6 and 96Boards HiKey
- Softpedia reports the availability of Ubuntu Snappy Core images for the LeMaker’s HiKey 96Boards.
- Please note the broken link on Softpedia – Actual Link
- 96Boards OpenHours goes LIVE with their first episode! Hosted by Robert Wolff.
- The first series of “Out of the box” blogs are released to pair with OpenHours episodes – Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
- Ricardo Salveti (@rsalveti) adds a 96Boards CE Fritzing part!
- Reference Platform 16.06 is announced and released (now legacy – see previous releases). (Blog)
- Brian Shay from Arrow Electronics announces the i.MX 7 Dual 96Boards CE board
- The second series of “Out of the box” blogs are released to pair with OpenHours episodes. – Part 4 | Part 5
- Arrow and 96Boards blog on future proofing DragonBoard 410c
- Gumstix announce AeroCore 2 drone Mezzanine for 96Boards
- Akira Tsukamoto talks I2C on OpenHours (Video | Blog)
- Bill Fletcher talks Docker for CE 96Boards on OpenHours (Video | Blog)
- David Mandala talks cross compilation with x86 Linux systems on OpenHours (Blog)
- First open source W3C EME solution provided on the 96Boards HiKey platform
- 96Boards DragonBoard 410c Inspires the Internet of Things Generation
- Thundersoft joins Linaro 96Boards as both Manufacturing Partner and Steering Committee member.
- Qualcomm announces their “Maker Month” DragonBoard 410c contest winner.
- CNX Software reports on the 96Boards TV Platform Edition
- PR Newswire reports on MediaTek X20 96Boards
- Qualcomm hosts a 96Boards DragonBoard 410c hackathon at AT&T Shape in San Fransisco!
- Akira Tsukamoto talks about programming IoT Sensors with IoTDK on 96Boards at LinuxCon in Japan. See Tweet.
- OpenHours celebrates 3 months of being on the air!
- Lawrence King releases 3D printed case for 96Boards on Thingverse
- Another new 3D print 96Boards case on Thingverse
- CNX Software reports availability of Ubuntu Core image made available for the 96Boards Bubblegum-96
- CNX Software reports on HiSilicon Poplar, the first 96Boards TV Platform
- Kodi threads start up around CNX report around the 96Boards Poplar
- Andy Clark from @Workshopshed is recognized as Qualcomm’s “Developer of the Month” for his 96Boards DragonBoard 410c DragonDetector
- Qualcomm’s #WhyWait “Invent-Off” featuring the 96Boards DragonBoard 410c hits the air!
- ArcherMind joins 96Boards and Launches the MediaTek X20 Consumer Edition board.
- Inatel University in Brazil hosts a hackathon focused around smart cities and the DragonBoard 410c
- Robert Wolff gives a 96Boards Workshop at the Qualcomm campus in San Diego.
- Gumstix announces Geppetto for 96Boards and a rapid path to market
- David Mandala talks GUI and Command line remote debugging for 96Boards
- HiSilicon create Poplar, the first 96Boards TV Platform development board is announced then goes on sale.
- Jorge Ortiz blogged about Running a KVM guest on the 96Boards HiKey
- David Mandala offered us the Ramblings of Mezzanine boards and instructions on how to use the Arduino IDE with the 96Boards Sensors Mezzanine
- OpenHours launches a three part series for the 96Boards DragonBoard 410c
- Linaro Connect takes over Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS16)!
- Here you will find links to event description, videos, photos, and much more!
- Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 600E and 410E for Embedded computing
- Carbon is announced and released as the first 96Boards IoT Edition board!
- CNX Software reports on the BLE Carbon 96Boards IoT Edition and Zephyr
- Stephane Le Provost talks about the MediaTek X20 at LAS16
- Yang Zhang (Director of 96Boards) talks about The Future of 96Boards
- Linus Torvalds visits Linaro Connect (LAS16) and has a fireside chat with our very own David Rusling.
- OpenHours kicks off Season 2 with a two part series and a 96Boards DIY Drone demo!
- RocketBoards.org reports on the Arrow Chameleon96 board
- Edacafe reports on the Gumstix Nodana 96Boards
- TechDesign blogs on the purpose and direction of 96Boards
- Gumstix blogs on Geppetto D20 mezzanine customization for all 96Boards
- Fujitsu issues press release on F-Cue 96Boards
- CNX Software reports on the F-Cue 96Boards by Fujitsu
- HackerBoards.com reports on the F-Cue 96Boards by Fujitsu
- Hackerboards.com talks 96Boards SBCs with host Intel Joule and Curie IoT modules
- Alpha Star thread starts around 96Boards MediaTek X20
- Open Source India blogs on Embedded and IoT Products made easy with 96Boards
- Electronics Lab blog on BLE 96Boards Carbon
- Makerpro.cc reports on 96Boards technical specifications and target market observations
- 96Boards launches a community survey.
- 96Boards announces “Weekly Digest” mailing list signup form (to start in Jan of 2017)
- Linaro and 96Boards announce Linaro Connect Budapest (BUD17)!
- 96Boards.org goes live with the new B2260 CE Extended board
- Qualcomm Developer Network announces a DragonBoard 410c push from mobile to IoT Space
- 96Boards pushes for a community negotiated mezzanine board
- OpenHours gets a visit from Andy Clark of @Workshopshed (Video | Blog)
- Arrow’s Audio Mezzanine goes on sale!
While I am sure there are plenty of other things I may have missed in 2016 around 96Boards, these were some of the highlights I was able to salvage and save. Yes, I am a digital hoarder! This means 2017 will be quite a busy year for me… Just wait, things are about to get crazy!
Now, since I have pretty much shared over one hundred links, I will give you all a minute to click around and enjoy the content…Back already? Great! I think it’s time to summarize a bit.
For 96Boards announcements and fun, be sure to visit and follow all of our social media channels! Seriously though, if you could only choose one, I would recommend Twitter 🙂
If you are aching to follow more than just 96Boards, travel on over to my Twitter and give it a follow as well! www.twitter.com/sdrobertw
For those of you who prefer a mailing list, we have just the one for you! You can choose between our “Monthly Newsletter” and our “Weekly Digest”. Get ready for just the right amount of commitment and information, 2017 is calling and 96Boards is here to answer.
Remember, you are all the reason this is possible. Please join us in welcoming a vibrant and new twist on community engagement. With OpenHours, we will take on some exciting challenges this year.
Every week at 4:00pm UTC the 96Boards team engages in the ultimate community driven experience. All are welcome to join LIVE, for free, to interact as equal members in the 96Boards tribe of enthusiasts and developers. This is YOUR channel and a means to bring up interesting and possibly controversial topics, explore new possibilities around the 96Boards brand, and pretty much anything else you would like to talk about! You can also join to hang out and have a quick chat while you enjoy your morning coffee or tea 😀
Don’t forget, if you get stuck, 96Boards offers many helpful resources. Feel free to check out the 96Boards forums, 96Boards documenation landing page, and/or Freenode IRC channel #96Boards (there are many ways to access IRC, this website is one of them). Dig around the docs and website, create a new forum thread, and/or post a question in the chat, myself or one of the 96Boards developers would love to help!
So I think it’s time for the new year teaser, what can you expect from 96Boards in 2017?
Let’s take a look… How about some major website changes, a newsletter revamp, and a first time ever weekly digest! You will see some BIG social media pushes, with giveaways, member sponsored content, tutorials and mini-series curriculum around 96Boards(free and fun!). Get ready for hackathons, multiple Linaro Connects, and did I mention more boards, accessories and mezzanine products? 2017 is chalked full of surprises, and I can’t wait to share them with everyone!