This project uses a STEREN digital Breathalyzer with the DragonBoard™ 410c from Arrow Electronics, and is designed to disable the starter of the vehicle if a high level of alcohol is detected from the driver. The system is also designed to send a “Come get me I am drunk” SMS to a pre-programmed number using a Shield GSM that is compatible with Arduino.
Per a New York Times article published in 2009, the automotive breathalyzer as an ignition interlock aims to save thousands of lives and governmental expenses in health accidents related with drunk drivers. People driving while intoxicated still cause about 13,000 deaths a year in the United States. And of the 1.4 million arrests made, one-third involve repeat offenders. The greatest potential of ignition interlocks is to reduce this recidivism.
This project aims to develop new ideas to help reduce drunk driving with a fully functional prototype using the DragonBoard 410c.
- Creator: Automotive Breathalyzer team from Tecnologico de Monterrey
- Project Name: Automotive Breathalyzer
- Type of Project: Demonstrations (Projects showcasing individual features of a 96Boards product)
- Project Category: IoT, Sensors, Smart Cities
- Board(s) used: DragonBoard 410c