This project measures Ultra Violet (UV) index, infrared and visible light using sensors connected to the DragonBoard 410c. Sensor data is sent to a Sparkfun cloud server, and an android app is designed to give the user tips to help protect themselves against health hazards caused by UV exposure. It also is designed to adjust compatible LED lamps to reduce energy usage during the day.
The Sunlight Sensor project was created during an IoT Hackathon challenge organized by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. in Brazil. The goal of the project was to create an application that spreads awareness about health hazards caused by harmful UV radiations in our environment and allow users to take appropriate precautions. As an extension to the application, users can also use the daylight information to control Bluetooth LED lamps to optimize energy usage, hence contributing towards a smart home / smart city concept.
- Creator: moisescintra
- Project Name: Sunlight Sensor
- Type of Project: Demonstrations (Projects showcasing individual features of a 96Boards product)
- Project Category: IoT, Smart Cities, Smart Home
- Board(s) used: DragonBoard 410c
- View Project on Qualcomm Developer Network
- C++ code. Takes sensor readings and saves it in a text file
- Python code. Reads the saved text file and sends the sensor data to the Sparkfun cloud server.
- Android app apk with the user interface
- Sparkfun data storage. Server used to store the sensor data as a text file